Thursday, August 28, 2008

8/26 Beans and Rice

Another crock pot meal. I don't normally use it 2 days in a row, but I am sometimes too lazy to put it away, so I mind as well use it. I'm also not a crock pot-ter in the summer, but we've had some cooler days which, to me, lend themselves to crock pot meals. You'd think I'd use it more when its hot, but I don't. Maybe next summer.

Again, I had a variety of foods from Angel Food since pick up was last Saturday. I make another version of this as red beans and rice, and will post next time I make it.

1 lb mixed beans (I had a bean soup mix that was mainly great northern, kidney, pinto)
Water to cover + 1 inch
bay leaf
cracked pepper
crushed garlic (or garlic powder)
minced onion (or dried onion)
Worchshire sauce
hot sauce
liquid smoke
2 carrots, cubed
2 sticks celery, sliced
salt
rice

Rinse and soak beans overnight (I like to do this in the crock pot). Drain excess water and add pepper, garlic, onion, Worchshire sauce, hot sauce, and liquid smoke. Cook on High about 6 hours or until beans are tender. Add carrots, celery and salt, as well as additional hot sauce if needed. Cook on warm 2 additional hours (or more)

If the beans seem watery, keep cooking on high but partially remove cover to allow excess water to evaporate.

Serve over rice and add additional hot sauce to taste.

Again, served with sliced tomatoes.

No comments: